Got that? great, moving on....
Note: I was guided and GREATLY assisted in this project by my wonderful professional seamstress/costumer extraordinaire Regina. She is awesome and this costume would not have happened without her. (Follow her at @Wyldehills on twitter)
We started with the circlet piece that became the base of the helm. I cut two strips measured to fit around my head, heated them in boiling water and then once heated the strips adhered to themselves.
I shaped the front to have a little point as a fun accent. Here is a pic of me and Maddie, my Thor "brother" in this costuming adventure. She too used wonderflex and shaped wings to attach as her interpretation of Thor's helm. Follow her costuming adventure at her blog - Not Another Geek Girl
We printed out the profile of Loki's horns (from the Avengers, not Thor - his helms were slightly different in the two movies.)
We cut wonderflex out of the horn shape, heated it, thus making it pliable, and shaped it around a bowl to get the roundness of the cylinder. Once they were cool we heated just the edges and self adhesived the horn halves together to make each horn.
Once the horns were made there was the little matter of attaching them to the headband I made earlier. We decided we needed additional structural support and added two more strips running the length of the headband. Once cut and attached we cooled the headpiece around a headform so that it would retain the right shape, also, I did not want to place boiling hot plastic on my head to get the correct shape. Just not my thing. To cool it quickly (and thus harden it quickly) we put the headform in the freezer.
Hey look- obligatory, random cat picture!
Curious Captain, you're helping Loki with his horns? How scandalous!
We attached the horns, now that the headpiece was more stable, and there we have it. This adventure is not done, however...
In all of the shaping and molding and forming we couldn't make the wonderflex forget its true nature - It started as a flat sheet - and so the horns were not as smooth as I would like.
I purchased some hard molding paste to fill in the divots and wrinkles in the material.
Using a paint brush, a knife and finally my hands I molded the paste onto the horns, gave it a day to dry and then it was time to dremel-sand it smooth and so this meant a return to Loki's Lair!
BRACERS - One of my mentors for this sewing adventure gave me an old set of leather bracers and I designed and painted a pattern inspired by Loki's look in the Avengers.
Shoes - I obtained my shoes from On Your Toes in Tampa. They are a Mary Jane style of character shoes commonly used in the theatre. I used a spay paint made for shoes and sealed the color with furniture polish.